24 August 2007

Packing

There is something remarkably liberating to the act of fitting a year's worth of necessary belongings into one large backpack, a daypack, and a computer bag. Twelve months of simplified living, with a few minor luxuries (yoga mat, plenty of socks, favourite incense holder, iPod). I know that despite the light packing job, I will still bring too much to India. I cannot possibly anticipate all of the things I will need, and will instead assume that I might need a wool mid-layer, a sleeping bag and thermarest, and nalgene tupperware.

Jeff noted something today and while said in jest, I think he is dead-on. He remarked on my tendency to spend unnecessary amounts of money on gear when I am very capable of simply making-do with what I currently posses. This is a bad habit I picked up in recent years, and Kovitz made it all the more glaring when he drew attention to it this morning. I would very much like to leave such things behind when I board the plane on Saturday. So add "making do" and "moderation" to this year's goals. I think India will lend itself to such endeavors.

Time to read Harper's and hope for sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will wait to see the day when you take (pack)only what you need. Remember, you ARE your mothers daughter!

Love

Dad
SPOY

davemeisner said...

I agree with Jeff - you can never return from MEC emptyhanded. Yes, some of what you get is unnecessary but DAMN do you look stylish!