19 September 2007

Life as a series of anecdotes:

I've had to abandon certain environmental ideals since I've been here. The reality of street garbage, excess packaging (I'm starting to realize that is an Asia-wide phenomenon), and omnipresent air pollution somewhat curb my zeal. And so I am able to appreciate the wonderful manner in which the local juice stand packages a sweet lime soda to-go.

As you can see below, the soda is presented in the same way one might receive a prize carnival goldfish: securely tied in a plastic bag.

This is India in the minutiae. This is the India I encounter every time I open my rust-iron gate and step into the street. Fresh lime, fresh sugar, imported club soda, and enough plastic to kill the street dogs who will surely munch on my trash when my cleaning lady throws it into the street.

No comments: