31 October 2007

And this is what I want to do for a living?!?

A brilliant, if depressing, look into The Frankfurt Bookfair (my bosses spent 3 weeks in Germany representing Tara) and what it connotes for the world of publishing at large.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,2190553,00.html

An excerpt from the article:

"Why does anybody even want to be a writer? And I say that as one. Two weeks ago the BBC reported that it came top in a survey of the nation's dream jobs. I end up ranting about this at the Bloomsbury stand [at the Frankfurt Book Fair], and Alexandra Pringle, the editor-in-chief of Bloomsbury, rants with me.

'I know!' she says, 'It's mad. It's a horrible job. It doesn't pay well. It's lonely. It's depression-inducing. It's frustrating. There's no fun to be had. But everyone has a drive to be a writer. And everyone thinks they can do it.

'Whereas to be one is some sort of mental derangement! They're all bonkers. When my writers say I could earn more money at the till at Sainsbury's, I say, well go and do it. There's no point writing unless you feel that you have to do it. You have to really want to do it and to be prepared to suffer to do it. Or else you really might as well go and work on the till at Sainsbury.' "


No comments: