17 December 2007

Mother, May I?

May you please let us know if you will sell our books? May you please make a reservation for me at 6pm for two? May you please shut the hell up?

My boss today told me I have a "strange turn of phrase" in my apparently singular use of "May you please/May I please." Blogging co-worker told me she found it odd - in a good way. This is not the first time someone has pointed this out to me (my American employers at OHSU thought it was both archaic and grammatically incorrect - they were at least wrong on the latter account). But my entire extended family uses this phrase. I was taught, along with the generic "please" and "thank you," that an oft-placed "May I" was essential to good manners. In fact, I'm often taken aback by those who don't use the formal request in business, although it would appear I have inappropriately high expectations.

Manners are sexy. I was raised by generations of Brits - I'm genetically wired to think so.

1 comment:

Vanessa Marie said...

He he, I think Holly and I both noted your manners right off the bat and continued to mock you by always starting our sentences addressed to you with "Can we please..". I think you dumbed it down for us with a "can" instead of a "may". "Can we please all go out for breakfast on Saturday?" "Can we please ride bikes all day?" "Can we please go to the Alberta Pub and drink until we can't see straight?" YES! (please)